By Gale Eaton
In A heritage of Civilization in 50 mess ups, Gale Eaton weaves stories of the failures that take place while civilization and nature collide. Volcanoes, fires, floods, and pandemics have devastated humanity for hundreds of thousands of years, and human advancements similar to molasses protecting tanks, pesticides, and deepwater oil rigs have created new, unexpected risks but civilization has complex not only regardless of those failures yet partly due to them.
Read or Download A History of Civilization in 50 Disasters (History in 50) PDF
Best disaster relief books
Element Pleasant's Silver Bridge, the 1st eyebar suspension bridge within the usa, used to be an engineering surprise while it was once developed in 1927 and 1928. positioned on US road 35, the bridge spanned the Ohio River and associated element friendly, West Virginia, with the cities of Kanauga and Gallipolis, Ohio.
Japan, that's one of the such a lot earthquake-prone areas on the planet, has an extended heritage of responding to seismic failures. besides the fact that, regardless of advances in earthquake-related protection applied sciences, the destructiveness of the value nine category earthquake and tsunami that struck the rustic on 3/11 raised profound questions about how societies can deal successfully with seismic risks.
Think a strength in nature extra strong than a number of atomic bombs—that was once the good Hinckley hearth of September 1, 1894. in just 4 hours, the hearth incinerated over four hundred sq. miles of woodland, killed not less than 418 settlers and an unknown variety of forest-dwelling local american citizens, and destroyed six cities in a firestorm of flame.
The nuclear coincidence at Chernobyl on April 26, 1986 had a heavy impression on existence, wellbeing and fitness, and the surroundings. It prompted soreness to humans within the Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia and anxiousness far-off from those international locations. the industrial losses and social dislocation have been critical in a quarter already less than pressure.
- Dynamics of Disaster: Lessons on Risk, Response and Recovery (The Earthscan Science in Society Series)
- Disaster Planning for Libraries: Process and Guidelines (Chandos Information Professional Series)
- Monongah: The Tragic Story of the 1907 Monongah Mine Disaster (WEST VIRGINIA & APPALACHIA)
- Rethinking Disaster Recovery: A Hurricane Katrina Retrospective
- Atom: Die Geschichte des nuklearen Zeitalters (German Edition)
- People’s Response to Disasters in the Philippines: Vulnerability, Capacities, and Resilience (Disaster Studies)
Extra resources for A History of Civilization in 50 Disasters (History in 50)