By Shadi Mokhtari
Read or Download After Abu Ghraib: Exploring Human Rights in America and the Middle East (Cambridge Studies in Law and Society) PDF
Best freedom & security books
This significant new research indicates how battle will be considered by way of proactive chance administration instead of by way of traditional risk reaction. It addresses why the examine of ‘risk administration’ has helped fields equivalent to sociology and criminology conceptualize new coverage demanding situations yet has made restricted effect on Strategic stories with new case stories of modern Anglo-American army campaigns in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Whereas so much reports of the FBI specialise in the lengthy tenure of Director J. Edgar Hoover (1924-1972), the risks of Dissent shifts the floor to the hot prior. The publication examines FBI practices within the family defense box throughout the prism of 'political policing. ' The tracking of dissent is uncovered, as are the Bureau's arguable 'counterintelligence' operations designed to disrupt political job.
This ebook examines rising security applied sciences reminiscent of directed power guns, nanotech units, and bioscience purposes that experience the capability to dominate diplomacy sooner or later, simply as nuclear guns and area infrastructure-assisted traditional guns do now.
Corruption, pretend information, and the "informational autocracy" maintaining Putin in powerAfter fading into the historical past for a few years following the cave in of the Soviet Union, Russia abruptly has emerged as a brand new threat—at least within the minds of many Westerners. yet Western assumptions approximately Russia, and particularly approximately political decision-making in Russia, are typically old-fashioned or simply simple incorrect.
- Space and Defense Policy (Space Power and Politics)
- Re-creating the Circle: The Renewal of American Indian Self-Determination
- The Kremlin Strikes Back: Russia and the West After Crimea's Annexation
- Education and Peacebuilding. What role has formal education played in fostering a sustainable, positive peace in post-genocide Rwanda?: The ‘two faces’ ... to the national peacebuilding project
- Watergate: The Hoax
- Deterrence: Its Past and Future—Papers Presented at Hoover Institution, November 2010 (Hoover Institution Press Publication)
Additional info for After Abu Ghraib: Exploring Human Rights in America and the Middle East (Cambridge Studies in Law and Society)